Nlets Representative Spotlight - Tim Chung
Welcome to the fifth edition of the Nlets Representative Spotlight, where we highlight the incredible work that Nlets Representatives are doing.
Today, meet Lieutenant Colonel Timothy E. Chung, Assistant Director of the Technical Services Division of the Arizona Department of Public Safety. He has been an Nlets representative for over five years.
- Q: How would you describe your role as an Nlets Representative to someone who didn’t know what it was? What are some highlights? What is more difficult?
- A: As an Nlets Representative, I look at my primary role as serving as a liaison between our Arizona stakeholders/partners and Nlets. It’s my responsibility to promote and coordinate Nlets services, information sharing, and training while ensuring we remain compliant with established policies and procedures. The most significant highlights come from attending the Annual Business Meetings where I can network and learn from a lot of very friendly and intelligent people – also known as the Nlets family. It is also great networking with the Nlets Strategic Partners.
- Q: What was a particularly impactful experience you’ve had working with Nlets?
- A: Up to this point, my most impactful Nlets experience was the opportunity to serve on the Nlets Executive Director Selection Committee in 2019. It was an awesome experience to work with the others on the Committee throughout the selection process with the goal of providing the Nlets President with the finalists in rank order. As we all know, Nlets’ success is directly tied to the quality of its leadership, so it was great to be a part of increasing the effectiveness of the Nlets Executive Team.
- Q: Can you share one success story where Nlets was used in your agency/state?
- A: It’s really difficult to share just one success story where Nlets was used because numerous success stories are occurring every day with all Nlets users in Arizona. With the thousands of transactions occurring in Arizona each day, I consider each transaction leading toward a success story because Nlets is providing critical information to our law enforcement officers working the streets and investigations.
- Q: What is one word you would use to describe Nlets and why?
- A: The one word would be “exchange” because Nlets is a primary mechanism for the exchange of an abundance of public safety information through its network.